Friday, August 15, 2008

(updated below!)

If you've read this blog for any amount of time you know that I, uh, really like clothes. Since we talked about pieces for a Fall wardrobe, I've been thinking about pieces that stay in my closet season to season. These wardrobe staples are versatile and stylish, but not trendy, so they can hang around for a while without making you look like a fashion no-no. Let's do this in list form, shall we?

1. Jeans

Jeans are a very important part of every man's and woman's wardrobe. They can be trendy, but I think the most important thing is to buy jeans that make you look good and that fit comfortably, especially on the bum. :) I don't believe in spending a ton of money here because I still haven't found a $100 pair that fits any better on my bottom than a $20-$30 pair. I'm willing to be wrong here, but if I'm going to spend that kind of cash on one article of clothing, there had better be fairy dust included, that's all I'm saying. (or a pair of shoes)

2. T-Shirts

No cartoon characters or pithy sayings, just plain, fitted, and flattering in a variety of colors. This is one of the items that you should buy multiples of when you find one that works. (I do have plenty of "fun" t-shirts and concert t's, but a plain fitted shirt can be used a business casual environment over slacks, under a blazer or paired with a cute skirt for dinner.)

3. Camis/Tanks

Styles, shapes and colors abound in this little item. Under a jacket or sweater, layered over a skirt, or just paired with jeans to get your dance on, it's my philosophy that you can't have too many, and my closet reflects that. ;) They can be plain, ribbed, edged with lace or sheer. A cute little jacket, jeans, and a bright cami or tank peaking out is a no-fail outfit.

4. LBD

Last, but certainly not least is the little black dress. Being a little obsessive, I, ahem, have several that can be used for many occasions, but every woman should have one black dress in her closet that makes here feel like a million bucks. Finding that baby can be a chore, but when you do, special occasions are covered year round. ;)

5. Cardigans/Light jackets

(updated to add these, which Patrice reminded me about) Of course, how could I forget cardis?! I have tons that I wear year round, because I am one of those people who gets cold easily. I have tons of cardis, in various colors, styles and lengths. Thick, thin, argyle, loose knit, dressy, sporty, every day, bright colors, pastels, and of course lot and lots of black. As Ali mentioned in the comments, a cardigan can take a summer dress into a fall outfit. Or it can take a dress that is a little...ahem, racy and make it demure.

What do you have in your closet that doesn't get rotated when the seasons change? Have I forgotten any?

disclaimer: I in no way consider myself to be a fashion expert in any way, shape, or form. Please take this post as it was intended, sharing with the interwebs only. Thanks. ;)

6 Comments:

  1. Rosemary/sonrie said...
    good choices? Have you thought about a career in fashion design/advising/consulting?
    Ali said...
    i bought this short-sleeved belted shirt-dress thing. (some people call it a day dress?) i think it's seasonless. with a cardigan for the fall? so it'll stay in my wardrobe through the fall ;)
    Anonymous said...
    This is interesting. MY entire closet stays the same throughout all seasons - except for adding a coat in winter. This lessens the confusion for me.

    If I actually need to go somewhere, I have my wife and/or daughters dress me.

    Interestingly, I'm good with clothes for them, just not interested for me.
    Still Patrice said...
    *hi-5* @ not spending alot of money!!!

    Umm.. I don't rotate my light jackets /caridgans. I'm always cold.
    Anonymous said...
    My most favorite pair of jeans EVER were my $100 jeans from Lucky Brand. They were the only jeans that fit me right..then I gained 10 lbs and they don't fit. I WILL get back into them dammit.

    Also black pants and khaki pants.. I mix and match these w/ my t shirts for 9848 different work outfits.
    PS..my favorite T shirts come from Target
    Anonymous said...
    i meant to tell you i like your new wardrobe. things got a little hectic what with me having a baby. you have perfect student teacher gear.

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online