Friday, July 4, 2008

Spiced Nuts

(updated below)

I am not a food blogger, but these are so freaking good, I had to share. I am invited to a BBQ tomorrow for the 4th of July holiday. It is a standing invitation with a friend's family and I am never expected to bring anything but myself. Today, though, my friend jokingly said that everyone was required to bring something and then I realized that maybe I should. Knowing I have to work tomorrow before the party, it would have to be something that can be made ahead of time and stored in the tiny fridge at work. I was thinking about what I would want to eat at a party and I started to think about the Chocolate Bar and all the yummy things they offered on the cheese platters. So, I made my own cheese platter. I bought various kinds of cheese slices, some nice crackers, toasted some Bosnian bread and some nuts for spiced nuts. Mmm spiced nuts! I actually had a recipe from a long ago Camp Jeep, but some where in the moving I seem to have lost it. Food Network to the rescue! This is a recipe from Emeril and I've been "tasting" them all night to make sure they're all right. ;)

I didn't think about taking pictures until the end, so this is the last few minutes of folding the nuts into the glaze.


The Bosnian bread that I ruined under the broiler, apparently Rachel Ray and I DO have something in common. (Yes, I really do watch too much Food Network!)


Smoothed it out to cool



Yummy! Sweet and salty with a spicy kick!
It didn't turn out like the ones at the Chocolate bar, but I'm not sure if it's just the recipe or the fact that I multiplied the recipe by 4.
(It's a big family, but I'll be eating these for weeks, which is A-Ok with me!)



Update: The nuts and cheese platter were a hit but I was greeted periodically with,"Oh Bri, your nuts are great." and "Excellent job with the nuts, Bri!" Yes, we are all a bunch of 12 year old boys. (Even my friend's grandmother!)

2 Comments:

  1. Jason, as himself said...
    Oooooooooooo, these look good. I love the sweet and salty combination. And nuts are so good for us!
    Kennis said...
    I've never tried to broil that type of bread - but it is SO good.

    (PS...gave you an award :))

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online