Monday, August 25, 2008

I went to a community college near my hometown. I graduated with an Associates Degree and was supposed to go to Eastern Illinois University. I can't remember what happened exactly, though if I had to guess, I would say that there was a paper I forgot to fill out, I'm notorious for that sort of thing, but I couldn't go to Eastern, because their education program was full and I would have to wait a semester before I could go. My mom was not at all thrilled and she said that I was going to Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville. I can point to that one decision for changing the course of my life. I can tell you where I would be now if I had waited the semester and gone to Eastern. I would probably be married to my high school sweetheart, the first great love of my life. I would also be absolutely. fucking. MISERABLE. I would already be a teacher for 6 years, but I would probably be contemplating divorce and have children. I would have the life I thought I wanted but I would be unhappy. I was already unhappy and dissatisfied with my choices, I just didn't know it yet. If I had stayed at Eastern, I would have never met my 2 best friends, Dan and Sarah, or my second great love, J. I wouldn't be the same person I am today. I wouldn't have had any reason to explore myself and discover my love for fashion or photography. I would still be the girl who had never had her own room or her own apartment. I would have never lived, not really. One choice and it completely changed the direction of my life. Thank God.

 

(And, thank you, R, for breaking up with me and allowing me to be free to discover myself and what I want out of my life. I'm still figuring that out but I'm also honestly enjoying the journey. I don't regret either our relationship or it's end.)

Can you point to any one decision, either one you made or one that was made for you that changed the course of your life? Share in the comments!

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I was given a choice by my parents. Find a job in the town I went to college in ASAP or go home (home being a small podunk 'town' with maybe two/three job options)after graduation. I took the first job that came my way, stayed in the college town, and 7 months later meet the man who would be my husband. NONE of it would have happened had I not said "there is no way I'm going home". (PS: Should I have choosen to go home, I would be in almost the exact situation you would have been in should you have gone to Eastern)
    Anonymous said...
    dumping a no-good-nik from our same slice of heaven after he cheated on me. not sure if i would have ended up the same, but there's a possibility. it would have been hell.

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online